In advance of its upcoming IPO, Skype recently announced some usage numbers that are sure to whet the appetites of potential inventors and numbers geeks alike. In addition to the impressive milestone of 25 million concurrent users using the service at the same time, consider these equally impressive Skype numbers:
- In 2009, Skype users consumed 113 billion Skype-to-Skype minutes for voice, video and text messaging
- For the first six months of 2010, about 40% of Skype’s minutes were used for video
- In sum, Skype boasts more than 500 million users
- Revenue in 2009 was @ $600 million
- Company was valued at $2.75 billion when it was sold last September by eBay to a group of investors
Skype filed with the SEC this year for an IPO that experts say will raise as much as $100 million or more and make the VOIP giant one of the largest publicly traded internet companies.